VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Los Arcos: "Cafe- Bar Off Playa Mayor" Madrid Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Madrid Restaurants: 687 reviews and 723 photos

by suvanki

Although I've visited Spain a few times now, I still haven't tried Chocolate con churros - the delicious sounding, calorie loaded drink with doughnut like fingers to dunk.

After looking at Playa Mayor, I spotted this place, with a notice advertising the afforementioned item

Well, I'd lost track of time, and hadn't realised that it was now nearly mid day - so when I ordered Chocolate con churros - I was met with an apologetic shrug from the proprietor. I realised that I was too late - so I ordered a cafe con leche instead.

This was quite a pleasant small bar. I could see a man busily preparing food in the tiny preparation area behind the bar. There was a steady stream of local workers nipping in for a quick coffee, or to collect food which they'd presumably ordered earlier.

I would probably have stopped and ordered some food, but I'd spotted a bar opposite advertising Bocadillo Calamares, which I was looking forward to trying
(Please see my previous tip)

Hopefully I'll get to try Chocolate con churros next time I visit Spain

Favorite Dish: Although I only had a caffe con leche here, it was a good cup of coffee, and the bar was quite a relaxing place to be

Address: Plaza Mayor, 1 Madrid 28012
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Through the arches of entrance/ exit of Plaza Mayor - If facing the clock tower in the Plaza this bar is in the right corner. It's opposite La Bar Ideal - see my previous tip.
Phone: 913664853 913653130
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Feb 5, 2008

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Madrid?