La Mallorquina: "Mouth watering pastries and cakes" La Mallorquina Tip by suvanki

La Mallorquina, Madrid: 4 reviews and 3 photos

La Mallorquina, Madrid Sol Metro entrance

La Mallorquina, Madrid Sol Metro entrance
      La Mallorquina, Madrid
    by suvanki

UPDATE - Yesterday (July 18th) I went for breakfast, to find that it was being renovated, so not sure when it will be open again)

La Mallorquina has been baking and serving delicious pastries, cakes and confectionary here since 1894! It is located in the bustling Puerta del Sol, at the end opposite the Tio Pepe sign .

I first saw this place on Saturday afternoon - after drooling over the displays of buns, pastries and gateauxes in the window, I decided to wander in - Blimey! it was heaving -

Counters stacked with freshly baked sweet and savoury delicacies lined 2 walls. Upstairs is a salon, where You can enjoy a more relaxing experience apparently. I was hoping to enjoy a cafe con leche and a sticky bun, standing at one of the counters, but decided that I'd probably not get served for a while, or would get too jostled. It was quite entertaining watching respectable looking white haired ladies, and groups of elegantly dressed middle aged women speedily manouvre into tight spots, with assistance of elbows, handbags, and a 'don't mess with me' expression on their carefully made up faces.
I was starving, so selected an empanadilla - a flaky pastry pastie with ham and cheese filling - for 1 euro! I ate this outside, while enjoying the bustle of Sol.

On the Monday, I decided to try my luck again - this time it was less crowded - I selected a sticky soft bun (Can't remember its name - it began with M, and had a twirl of custard and sugar syrup )- 1 euro and a cafe con leche 1.20 euros - both were delicious, and I was able to enjoy it without being pushed about.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my ham and cheese empanadillo - buttery flaky pastry - although I think more of the pastry ended up attached to my jumper!

My bun and coffee were also very good. I enjoyed eating here but I was surprised, given its' location that it wasn't full of tourists - having said that, out of the window, I could spot the Golden Arches of Mc D's - one of many spotted in the centre of Madrid.

I'd head straight for La Mallorquina the next time I visit Madrid - great atmosphere, and great pastries

Address: Puerta del Sol, 8 Mayor, 2 Madrid
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Sol Opposite end to Tio Pepe sign, behind Metro entrance
Phone: 91 521 12 07
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Bakery

• Updated Jul 19, 2008

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Madrid?