Bar La Ideal: "Bocadillo Calamares - a speciality of Madrid" Madrid Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Madrid Restaurants: 684 reviews and 724 photos

La Bar Ideal off Playa Mayor Madrid
by suvanki

Reading my guide book, I found that a speciality of the bars around Playa Mayor is Bocadillo Calamares - Battered squid in bread rolls!

I usually have a plate of calamari, whenever I'm in a Mediterranean country, so I was looking forward to trying this delicacy in Madrid

I chose this place from the many establishments advertising Bocadillo Calamares, as it was crowded with locals, and I liked the tiled front of this small place.

A counter runs nearly the full length, there are small tables and chairs. More tiled pictures decorate the interior.

I ordered my bocadillo calamares - there are other dishes available with tapas or racion sized meals of calamari salads or combinations of dishes.

Service was very quick!

Freshly fried calamari in a light batter spilled over the top of my bread roll - Mmmmm! Delicious!

The only thing missing was a slice of lemon or a sprinkling of lemon juice - I don't know if this was available - I couldn't see any.

To do as the locals do - throw your used paper serviette/napkin onto the floor!
There are bins though, which is where I threw my rubbish.

A great end to my weekend break - After eating this I had to return to my hotel to collect my case, before heading to the airport.

This is now one of my favourite 'comfort foods' that I make at home

Favorite Dish: Bocadillo Calamares - Mmmmmm - a tasty filling snack!

I paid 2.30 Euros - which appeared to be the average price, when I looked at other menu boards in the area

Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Off Playa Mayor
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Jan 24, 2009

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Madrid?