ELHECHO: "Comfortable bar/ tasca/ restaurante" Madrid Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Madrid Restaurants: 685 reviews and 724 photos

ELHECHO Calle Huertas Madrid
by suvanki

After wandering around Lavapies, and not being able to decide which cuisine to try - Moroccan /Turkish / Chinese / Indian / Kurdish and Lebanese were just a few of the restaurants I'd hesitated outside, I decided to keep walking.

I soon found myself on Calle Huertas, and was enticed to look at the menu of this brightly painted bar. Dish of the day was Fideua - a paella made with noodles instead of rice - I'd seen this on the menu in Valencia when I visited earlier this year, but didn't have chance to try it then. So this was my chance.

Entering into the busy room, I chose a place at the bar on a stool. Seating available near the windows or on a raised platform.

I really liked the atmosphere here, a mix of clientele, mainly 30 + age group - couples, small groups of friends etc. It seemed a popular friendly place.

The service was quite quick in here despite there only being 2 staff. Neither seemed to speak english, and even though I attempted a bit of spanish, I resorted to pointing and miming, which worked.

Favorite Dish: My Fideua was delicious - very tasty sauce, not too salty, with mussels, squid, prawns, cockles etc. Fresh crusty bread to mop up the sauce -Mmmmmmmm, I could just eat this now!

I chose the 1/2 racion portion which was just right for me.

I also enjoyed a large crisp cerveza, then finished with a cafe con leche

Fideua - 7 euros
Cerveza doble - 2.10 euros
cafe con leche - 1.25 euros

Total 10.35 Euros

Address: C/Huertas 56 28014 Madrid
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: C/ Huertas runs uphill from the Paseo del Prado, opposite the Plaza de Murillo - if locating on your map.
Metro Anton Martin is to the south of C/Huertas, at its mid way section

Phone: 91 429 95 90
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Jan 24, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Madrid?