Meson Cinco Jotas: "Specialists in Iberico ham" Madrid Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Madrid Restaurants: 685 reviews and 724 photos

Meson Cinco Jotas
by suvanki

I came across Meson Cinco Jotas or 5 J's, while wandering around.

One of the things I was keen to do while in Madrid, was to try the Jamon Iberico, I'd read about this delicacy in a Spanish cookery book that I'd recently purchased. Meson 5 J's specialises in Iberian hams, and takes a pride in each step of the process from breeding, the acorn and grass diet, to the presentation of the many cuts of meat. (See the web page http://www.mesoncincojotas.com in Spanish and English for lots of interesting info about the pigs, restaurants and recipes etc)

I stood at the central bar,( There are separate dining areas with seating), menu cards were on display in Spanish and English. The young waitress was very efficient, and I'd soon placed my order. This was quite a busy place, but there was a nice atmosphere, I felt quite comfortable here by myself. Hanging from the ceiling were hams. At one end of the bar was a man preparing the food - he appeared to be very skilled, carefully carving slices of ham and arranging them on plates, also slices of cheeses, which he expertly sliced then stacked up.

While waiting for my meal I enjoyed my beer and a complimentary tapas of olives, which were some of the nicest I've ever tasted!

To be continued..

Favorite Dish: I tried a tapas of Jamon J5 - slices of thinly sliced sweet tasting Iberico ham, which came with fresh crusty bread and some savoury biscuits/crackers.

I had a draught beer which was cold and crisp

My ham tapas was 3.60 euros and my cerveza was 1.85 euros Total 5.45 Euros

Rating: 4
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.mesoncincojotas.com/#

• Updated Dec 2, 2007

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Madrid?