Captain Gear Guest Suites: "My favorite B&B of all" Galena Hotel Tip by Andi14

Galena Hotels: 11 reviews and 16 photos

I have stayed at many B&Bs, but this one is still my all-time favorite. It is an extremely well-presented establishment, classy and warm, with an absolutely knock-out gourmet 3-course breakfast. (Ours was as follows: Course 1 - A pineapple carved out and filled with fresh fruit salad, Course 2 - maple butter crepes, Course 3 - omlette tort, all accompanied by fresh juices, coffees, teas, and freshly baked bread. It is impeccably presented.) Wine and fresh chocolate chip cookies were on offer in the foyer, homemade chocolate covered strawberries greeted you in your bedroom, and each room was stocked with drinks and snacks. The owners - who were wonderful - maintain a huge collection of recent & classic DVDs for the guests to use. We stayed in the Gear Suite - admittedly pricey, but very thoughtfully & beautifully decorated. This is the kind of place that I would send friends & family to without hesitation - and I would never have to worry about them questioning my taste!

Unique Qualities: The property is a magnificent "Italianate mansion" built in 1855, which the owners have restored with true sophistication. Suzanne is a masterly chef, and her breakfast is by far the best I've ever had at a B&B establishment.

Address: 1000 S. Bench St., Galena IL 61036
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: The house sits upon a hill over Galena's main street.
Phone: 815.777.3677
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Website: http://www.captaingear.com

• Updated Nov 26, 2007

Comments

Andi14

“Night and day, I feel the trouble of the wanderer in my soul. ~Wordsworth”

Have you been to Galena?