"Sorrento" Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Off The Beaten Path Tip by toonsarah

Naples Off The Beaten Path: 86 reviews and 126 photos

Above the Marina Grande, Sorrento

Above the Marina Grande, Sorrento
      Marina Grande, Sorrento
      Raodside shrine, Sorrento
    by toonsarah

I’ve made a separate page about Sorrento, so this is just a brief outline of why you might want to go there.

A sunny Saturday in early November turned out to be a perfect time to visit – even then this lovely seaside town was pretty busy and I can imagine that in the height of the season it might become unpleasantly so. As it was we had a lovely time strolling the streets, and in particularly walking down to the Marina Grande, the less touristy (and, despite its name, the smaller) of the two harbours. Here we could sit in the sun at a small, unpretentious restaurant, the Ristorante di Leva with a chilled white wine, some grilled sardines and a fresh tomato salad, watching a few local fishermen passing the time of day. We also enjoyed an ice cream in the main square, the Piazza Tasso, shopping for local delicacies such as lemon biscuits and olive oil, and photographing the many interesting little details of its buildings.

See my Transportation tips about the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, and my separate page for information about the various sights, cafés etc.

• Written Nov 25, 2007

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Naples?