"The Stabian Baths" Stabian Baths Tip by toonsarah

Stabian Baths, Pompeii: 6 reviews and 7 photos

Column, Stabian Baths, Pompeii
    by toonsarah

This is the city's earliest bath building, dating from the 2nd century BC and built over a previous facility which goes back to the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. It is a large complex, and, as was usual, the bathing rooms are divided into separate women's and men's sections, each with its apodyterium (dressing room), frigidarium (with pool for cold bath), tepidarium (warm room), caldarium (hot bath) and furnaces to heat the water.

We had already had a thorough look at the Forum Baths so here we were mainly interested in the chance to get a much closer look at one of the plaster cast figures. You can easily make out the design of his sandal (3rd photo, though I got a bit too close to focus) and the drape of his clothing). I felt a little uncomfortable after a while to be peering so closely, even though I knew this was just a cast. I also like the decorative carving on the columns as you can see in my second photo.

Directions: These baths are not far from the theatres, at the intersection of two of the main streets, Via del’ Abbondanza and Via Stabiana

• Updated Nov 24, 2007

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Pompeii?