"A tiny find on the edge of town" Hotel Meridiana Tip by Stupina

Hotel Meridiana, Florence: 319 reviews and 0 photos

The cab ride from the train station to the hotel was E15, but I think I was seriously overcharged, given how close the hotel was. On the trip back, it was a couple Euro less, and the driver took me through the heart of town once more by the Duomo, almost as to remind me why I want to return.

The hotel is on the edge of the residential neighborhood north of the city. It is walking distance to the Academy (to see the David) or to a bit farther to the Duomo or the Palazzo Vecchio. If you want though, you can grab a bus from a couple blocks away from the hotel (at Piazza del Liberte) down to the Duomo or to the train station, if your bags aren't heavy.

There is internet, for a cost of 3E per 1/2 hour or 5 for the hour, but you have to tell them the amount of time up front. Get the hour and use it in intervals, it's the better deal.

I was a single, but they put me in a double room overlooking the street. The bathroom had a bidet and a toilet, sink and TINY shower with hard sliding doors (not a curtain). I'm a US size 14 and could barely fit, so larger people might have issues. Breakfast is more minimal than some. Mostly breads, spreads, fruit juice, yougurt and coffee/tea. They did make fresh espresso for me and one day they had laughing cow cheese out for those who like protein in their breakfast.

The TV did pick up CNN if you need English language TV to watch. You leave your key at the desk and pick it up when you walk in. They will sell you tickets to the bus at 1.20 E since on the bus it's 2E. They do have two elevators to take your bags up. Overall, I was pleased with it.

Unique Qualities: About 2-3 blocks away (toward City Center) and across from the bus stop, is a restaurant called Perseus, recommended by the staff of the hotel. It was THE BEST food I had in Florence, in Italy, in fact. There is no English on the menu and the waiters speaks Italian only, so brush up on your menu-speak, it will be worth it. The friends who I had dinner with and I (3 total) ordered two of each course (anitpasti, primo, secundo, and dolci) with a 1/2 carafe of wine, water, and cappucino/after dinner wine. The entirety of the bill was under 100 E and we were well fed. They made the BEST gnocci I ever had. Fluffy, light, potato-y, truly a heavenly concoction. Their pork roast with potatoes, steak with green peppercorn sauce, Bucatelli matriciana, panne cotta, moscato, bruchetta with tomatos and with warmed mashed chicken liver (surprisingly tasty) and shrimp with advocado. It was amazing.

Address: Viale Don Minzoni 25, Florence 50019
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: you can take a 1A or B bus to the hotel at Piazza del Liberte and walk north on Don Minzoni for around 3 blocks, or take a cab.

It's the northern edge of the city.

Phone: +39 055 576552
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.florence-hotel-meridiana.com/

• Written Nov 18, 2007

Stupina's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Florence?