"Indian Road Signs #1" India Things to Do Tip by Beefy_SAFC

India Things to Do: 1,031 reviews and 1,690 photos

Lahaul, Leh - Manali Highway
by Beefy_SAFC

We all know about the witty sense of humour the Indians use get across the message about road safety. What has not happened is that someone has bothered to gather all the photographs into one place. So what I've done is to trawl the internet to do exactly this (this message is repeated in each tip, but the photograph for each one is different).

Apologies to the actual photographers for not asking (including one or two from other VT'ers), however, I believe this had to be done sooner or later, to get the funniest, wittiest and most bizarre road sign all together in the one place (spread over 12 separate tips). I've seen all but two of these signs for myself, but did not get a chance to photograph them - asking to stop a bus every time you see one of these signs is not really practical. I've tried where possible to identify their location from my memory of them (most are either in Ladakh or on the Leh-Manali Highway).

So here we have it, the complete collection of Indian Road Signs!!! One missing from these is "I'm curvaceous, please take me slowly"!!!

• Updated Nov 4, 2007

Comments

Beefy_SAFC

“Go round the world, you end up back at the same place.”

Have you been to India?