"First View of LA" LOS ANGELES Tip by mad4travel

LOS ANGELES, California: 36 reviews and 72 photos

Hooray for Hollywood!!!!
by mad4travel

I can't tell you how excited I was when I first came to LA. It was like going to a Magic Kingdom. America was so vibrant outgoing and happy compared to the UK. Everything was "Have a nice day" and "Gee I love your accent" and "Do you know Chuck and Di?"(no really)

I've been now many many time (so many I've lost count) and while I still love LA the novelty has worn off a bit and I have realised there may be better places to be.

The best bits are the weather (no contest with the UK). People are friendly but can also be superficial, but the lifestyle is very seductive. When you get to know people though you realise it can be just a hard a struggle to survive and get on as anywhere else in the world.

Santa Monica is my favourite place in LA. The beach is lovely. More on that later.

Top Things to do in LA

Disneyland - go on you know you want to
Hollywood Bowl
Hollywood sign
Griffith Park Observatory
Hollywood Boulevard
Universal studios (I preferred it to Disneyland)
La Brea Tar pits
Rodeo Drive

Trouble with LA is its very spread out, takes ages to get anywhere because of the freeway traffic and it has no real centre (which is quite disconcerting when you are used to that in Europe) oh and of course there is the risk of Earthquakes. I experienced a 4.5 in Long Beach. That was enough thank you!

ok, so much for impressions now for the tips...

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Oct 22, 2007

Comments

mad4travel Visits Here Frequently!

mad4travel

“Its not bad weather, it's just the wrong clothes!”

Have you been to California?