"MEDELLIN: OTHER SCULPTURES" Colombia Things to Do Tip by swesn

Colombia Things to Do: 240 reviews and 516 photos

Medellin is a city of public art. In fact, I heard from someone that every building, it is required by law (please don't quote me on this) to have a sculpture outside. It is such a delight to walk around the city and hunt down these sculptures.

Some memorable ones are mentioned below:

- La Gorda (The Fat Lady) by Fernando Botero is found at Parque Berrio (Parque Berrio metro station). Next to her butt, yours looks very trim indeed.

- Monumento a la Raza by Rodrigo Arenas Betancur is found at Centro Administrativo La Alpujarra (Alpujarra metro station). Do make it a point to check this one out. I guarantee you will walk towards it, dazed, with your jaws hanging open.

- Monumento a la Vida by Betancur is further out of the city centre but quite walkable from Suramericana metro station. This is also quite impressive as well but slightly less so than the 'Raza' one.

- There is another one by Betancur, Monumento al Creador de la Energia, is located at Universidad de Antioquia but although I went there, I think I forgot to hunt for it, so I have not much recollection of the sculpture. *sorry*

• Written Oct 21, 2007

“Every second of every day you're faced with a decision that can change your life - make it!”

Have you been to Colombia?