"CARACAS: PIRATAS TAXIS" Venezuela Transportation Tip by swesn

Venezuela Transportation: 47 reviews and 27 photos

All over Caracas (and perhaps Venezuela in total), there are 'piratas' (or pirated taxis).

These car-owners simply stick a sign [Taxi] and hook up with those stretchable ropes with hooks on their side windows and Voila!

Prices for taxis have to be negotiated beforehand. That makes it very expensive for tourists as we never know the right price... and believe me, from my experience, it is very expensive for me.

When I got out of the *very dodgy and crazy* bus terminal of Caracas, I was accosted by numerous touts, some rather aggressive. One finally brought me to a waiting taxi. It seems that the waiting taxis pay these touts a price to find them a customer. However, the taxi driver, although he had negotiated a rate for me through the tout, tried to charge me extra for the tout fee that he had just forked out. The nerve... I refused.

At night, the taxi price really increases. Well, if possible, get a well-marked taxi or one called by your hotel. But if not possible, I guess, you have to risk it because the alternative of walking along the streets of Caracas at night is probably even worse.

Well, I paid a lot for a night taxi ride but at the end, he waited until I entered the house, just to make sure I got in safely.

Type: Other

• Written Oct 20, 2007

More Transportation in Venezuela (1)

“Every second of every day you're faced with a decision that can change your life - make it!”

Have you been to Venezuela?