"SANTA ELENA DE UAIREN: RIVER RAFTING" Venezuela Things to Do Tip by swesn

Venezuela Things to Do: 187 reviews and 278 photos

Santa Elena is a little town surrounded by one of the most amazing natural landscapes in the world. There are many rivers and waterfalls around this region and rainfall is abundant, leading to wonderfully swollen rivers for rafting.

Of course, river rafting is dangerous. You should seek a good travel agency. If possible, make sure they check their equipment before leaving. Would you believe that we were stuck for quite a while at the beginning of the rafting trip because one of our rafts had sprung a leak?? Duh.

I think they usually raft along Rio Yurani but it was too dangerous to be rafted that day as it had rained A LOT the night before. We rafted in Rio Soruape and gosh, it was truly one of the most DANGEROUS and EXHILIRATING rafting trip I had ever done. 4 out of 6 in my raft fell into the water during the rapids!! Including me!!

The idea is that if you fall in during the rapids, you have to relax the body and let go of the rope. Otherwise, you are caught between the raft and the rocks underneath it - 2 very hard places - and there is a high chance you can drown or be squashed. But saying this idea and actually doing it are two different things.

The rocks and rivers around were truly stunning and I certainly highly recommend doing a rafting trip here. Anyway, despite the hunt for a fixative to tape up the raft, I think the travel agency is reasonably nice and can be recommended - Ruta Salvaje Tours.

• Written Oct 20, 2007

“Every second of every day you're faced with a decision that can change your life - make it!”

Have you been to Venezuela?