"PARAMOS TOUR" Mérida Things to Do Tip by swesn

Mérida Things to Do: 48 reviews and 104 photos

There are highland tours like what they call 'PARAMOS TOUR' organised by various travel agencies.

After signing up with one the day before, I had expected to be put on a tour van. However, as expected of the level of disorganisation here, the lady from the tour agency hooked me up with 2 Venezuelan guys she h-a-p-p-e-n-e-d to run into, and she negotiated with a guy who drove a very beat-up and ancient Ford to take us on this excursion. What the... Oh well, as long as the Ford lasts through the day and does not fall apart on us?

The tour involves stopping by a few towns, a monument, etc? then, you slowly climb up a mountain through a series of zig-zagged roads all the way to Pico El Aguila, at 4118m.

Our driver parked his car along the road somewhere as it was too crowded to reach the top. We walked the rest of the way to Pico El Aguila. Here is one of the peaks that Simon Bolivar, the liberator of Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, had climbed across the Andes mountains from Venezuela with his armies to fight the Spanish. And here now, is a monument with an eagle (el aguila).

But take note that it is freezing cold up here, perhaps between 0-2 C, perhaps lower. Be very well-prepared with the woollies. I had a terrible headache, as the sudden rise in altitude was too much for me. Also, the wind was unbearable. The clouds covered everything in sight. I could barely walk. My fingers were as good as dead.

Yet some Venezuelan show-offs were in their short-sleeved shirts! Mad mad mad!!

There might be a visit to a reserve for condors. But we didn't do it.

Later, we were driven to Laguna Mucubaji which was just a pretty lagoon with a type of very interesting flora, known as 'frailejon', found all around the lagoon area. This plant has curiously lovely felt-like leaves. Even the stems of the budding flowers had a thick felt-like feel around them. Very interesting, one of the most interesting plants I had seen in a while.

• Updated Oct 17, 2007

“Every second of every day you're faced with a decision that can change your life - make it!”

Have you been to Mérida?