Lamb and Flag: "Drink like Dickens" Lamb & Flag Tip by rexvaughan

Lamb & Flag, London: 2 reviews and 4 photos

Here we are amongst the gathering crowd in front

Here we are amongst the gathering crowd in front
    by rexvaughan
      We got a table in the Dryden room upstairs
    by rexvaughan
      The bar in the Dryden room
    by rexvaughan

I suppose there are places with similar histories all around London, but the Lamb & Flag has evidently been here since the 1620's so is rightly called historic. We only met friends here for a drink but I was duly impressed by it and the throng of people it attracts as the main room was full and there must have been 60 or more people standing on the narrow lane in front of it. I can't attest to the food, but it is apparently very popular with both tourists and locals so has something going for it. They do serve a good pint of Guiness.

From what I read the place was formerly called the Bucket of Blood attesting to the fist fights (bare knuckle I am sure) that were regularly held here. It is also said that both Dickens and Dryden drank here and in fact the upstairs room is called the Dryden room. We went there and were able to find a table large enough for 7 of us to squeeze in. For a bit of local history, at least stop in for a drink. It is an easy walk from either the Leicester Square or Covent Garden tube station but it is tucked in among three little streets so get a good map to help you find it.

Address: 33 Rose Street, Covent Garden
Directions: Nearest Tube, Leicester Square. Near Lazenby Ct.
Phone: 0871 332 5754
Rating: 4
Website: http://www.lambandflagcoventgarden.co.uk/

• Written Oct 16, 2007

Comments

rexvaughan Visits Here Frequently!

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Have you been to London?