"Platypus, Bogotá" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Hotel Tip by MalenaN

Colombia Hotels: 101 reviews and 192 photos

View from the dinning room ot to the courtyard

View from the dinning room ot to the courtyard
      The room
    by MalenaN

Platypus is a popular budget hostel in the Candelaria district (old town). I sent an e-mail about a month before arriving as I knew it is very popular. I asked for a single room with bathroom and was told I could get it the last days of my trip (when I was staying in Bogotá for four nights), but when I a few days earlier were passing Bogotá for one night I could only get a room without bathroom.

Many things are good with Platypus. It feels like a safe place with a security camera outside. There is a kitchen with free coffee, and a communal area were you can chat with other tourists. In the reception there are three computers (can?t remember how much it cost to use them) , books to exchange, safety boxes, possibility to store luggage and helpful staff.

The disadvantage is that it can be noisy. The first night I stayed there I had a room facing a small courtyard. Some people were sitting there talking in the middle of the night and others came back making noise and speaking load. I didn?t sleep very much that night. So the rooms without bathroom outside the reception (by the courtyard) is not to recommend if you want to sleep. When I had the room with bathroom it was situated around the corner and therefore more quiet.

The evenings in the communal area were nice, but the last evening it was too noisy and full of smoke. We were three people sitting by a table trying to speak to each other and the rest of the room were full of people who all seemed to know each other (there had been a party another night and it seemed to be one that night too.

Another thing I didn?t like was that the light in the bathrooms were turned off automatically after a short while and I often found myself standing in the shower in complete darkness.

The owner Germán is said to be very helpful, but he was not in Bogotá when I visited.

A double room (with one person) without bathroom was 30 000 pesos. And a double room (with one person) with bathroom was 35 000 pesos (August 2007).

Address: Calle 16 No 2 - 43
Directions: Candelaria
Phone: 1 - 341 2874, 341 3104
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://www.platypusbogota.com

• Updated Nov 5, 2007

Comments

Have you been to Colombia?