Couscous: "Moroccan anyone?" Top 5 Page for this destination Couscous Tip by b1bob

Couscous, Richmond: 1 reviews and 4 photos

authentic Casbah atmosphere
      authentic Casbah atmosphere
    by b1bob
      vegetable platter with plenty of pita
      kafka and pita bread
    by b1bob
      couscous with garlic, olives, & feta cheese
    by b1bob

I discovered this place after a long, hard walk up and down Monument Avenue, to the Jefferson Hotel, and to the Virginia War Memorial. Christian and I stopped here for refreshments. We noticed the sign on the sidewalk on the way down Franklin Street to the Jefferson Hotel and considered stopping here on the way back to the car. We came in there and noticed they really did this place up to look like a Moroccan Casbah. The service was friendly and fast when we stopped in for drinks, but it is understandably a little slower for a full meal. A little over a year later, Lee took me here for my 38th birthday. The entrees are pretty expensive, but you can get more bang for the buck by ordering tapas style from the familia meze section of the menu. Something that added to the ambiance that evening was some plates were brought to the table flambeed. One thing to note that is not the fault of the restaurant is the finding a parking slot. The restaurant does have a lot of about 10 slots, but that gets full straightaway. The fact that it is near the Virginia Commonwealth University campus compounds the already scarce parking in the city. Even on a Wednesday night, it took Lee and me at least as long to find a parking slot as it did to get there from Mechanicsville.

en español, em português

Favorite Dish: When Christian and I stopped here, we just wanted enough that day to last us until supper because we burned a lot of calories on our walk. Looking at the menu, this looked like a place for Lee and me to eat one night later on. Christian got the Fes House Salad and coffee. That is basically lettuce, tomato, onions, and feta cheese with a peppery vinaigrette. I just had the coffee. This is the one thing Couscous does not do well. Fortunately, the food on the menu is much better. I started off with a vegetable platter which, for me, consisted of a double order of tabouli (substituted for hummus) and a medley of vegetables including dark green lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, kalimata olives, feta cheese, and hot peppers. Lee really got a good laugh when I bit into one of those hot peppers by accident. The tabouli was great and the greens were good for the most part except the brine some of the vegetables soaked in made the whole salad salty. My next dish was called kafka which are lamb meatballs in a red tomato-based Moroccan sauce. The meatballs were great and the sauce was pretty good, but there was too much sauce. Both dishes came with plenty of warm pita bread. Lee must not have been keen on the couscous that came with his shrimp kebab because he had me finish it off. Couscous by itself is rather bland, but this was helped along with garlic, kalimata olives, and feta cheese.

Address: 900 Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23220
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: From I-95: Take EXIT 76B toward US-1 0.1 mi (0.2 km); Stay STRAIGHT to go on GILMER ST. 0.2 mi (0.3 km); Turn RIGHT onto W BROAD ST 0.3 mi (0.5 km); Turn LEFT onto RYLAND ST. 0.1 mi (0.2 km); Turn LEFT onto W FRANKLIN ST. 0.2 mi (0.3 km).
Phone: (804) 358-0868
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Middle Eastern

• Updated Apr 11, 2012

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

Have you been to Richmond?