"Hilo: A taste of Old Hawaii" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo. Tip by AKtravelers

Hilo., Hawaii (Big Island): 11 reviews and 32 photos

Hilo looks out at a dangerous harbor
by AKtravelers

Hilo has a historic town flavor to it, even though its on an island that has only seen 200 years of western settlement. It's worth wandering around the towntown constructed of pre-War buildings, enjoying the slow pace of life and checking out the Tsunami Museum, whose focus is on the Tsunami Hilo suffered in the 1930's -- not on Tsunamis in general (those looking for information on the massive 2005 Indian Ocean Tsunami will be disapporinted). Hilo also has a number od Starbucks Coffee shops, to get you hyped for the rest of your visit. If you are planning on visiting Volcano National Park, you willl be flying into Hilo.
One of my favorite memories of my early visits to Hawaii occurred in Hilo. In 1994, I was traveling with two female co-workers and we went into an unnamed, probably extinct bar where ethnic Koreans in their 60's were swing dancing. As there seemed to be nowhere else to go that night and the dancing was entertaining, we decided to have a mai tai and watch. Soon, 60-year-old men were coming up to me, asking me permission to dance with my harem. Of course, I said, yes and the women had a great time stepping around the high-ceilinged dance floor with their light-footed partners. It was a blast.

Address: Banyan Drive, Hilo

• Written Sep 30, 2007

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Hawaii (Big Island)?