"Poison Oak - Leaves of three, let them be!" Fremont Peak State Park Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Ewingjr98
Fremont Peak State Park Warnings and Dangers: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Fremont Peak is covered with poison oak. This three-leaf bush generates urushiol oil, which is also the poison found in poison ivy and poison sumac. Come in contact with a single leaf and you will be covered with an itchy red rash and possibly blisters before too long. The leaves are green most of the year, but turn red and orange in the fall. Luckily in Fremont Peak State Park, many of the commonly used areas with poison oak are well marked with warning signs. Pay attention and learn to recognize the shiny leaves so you can avoid this nasty stuff.
The oil can last up to five years, even on dead leaves of the poison oak. Reaction to the oil is considered the most common allergy in the country, and, while some rashes develop in a day or two, it can take 7 to 10 days for a rash to develop after contact. If you do come in contact with the oil, wash with plenty of soap and water, then treat the contaminated areas with rubbing alcohol.
More Reviews (8)
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Have you been to Fremont Peak State Park?Share Your Travels