"Nicosia is an ancient city. ..." Nicosia Favorite Tip by A_SPAVINS

Nicosia General: 21 reviews and 26 photos

Favorite thing: Nicosia is an ancient city. It is well worth the time to spend exloring it. A deep moat surrounds the old city and it is there that I used to play field hockey and football(the real game where you kick the ball with your feet, hence the name 'football'. I made many friends in Nicosia among both the Greeks and Turks. They are really delightful people and it is a great tragedy that they have been unable to resolve their differences. In Nicosia a visit to Metaxas Square is worthwhile if only to study the architecture and cafe's. Of course it is a long while since I last saw Cyprus but I remember well sitting in an outdoor cafe sipping commanderia which is a desset wine and a speciality of Cyprus. As a British soldier I was stationed in Cyprus and after the Egyptian desert it was as if I had died and gone to heaven. A bus trip from Nicosia to Famagusta will take you through miles and miles of some of the finest vineyards you will ever hope to see. When you arrive in Famagusta be sure to visit the Cathedral where Richard the Lion Heart was married. If you lift up the rugs on the floor (it is now a mosque) you will see the names of some of the Crusaders. The beaches are great and by now I'm sure that there are many hotels to stay at. One of my memories of Cyprus is that of sitting in an outdoor cinema eating one of the largest oranges I have ever seen. Cyprus is rich in the type of fruits it produces, among them are oranges, lemons, grapefruit,apricots and many other delectable items. In the bars and restaurants they have a delightful habit of serving you food when you order a drink. Cypriots think it necessary to eat if you are going to drink alcohol. Some of the best brandy I have ever tasted is made in Cyprus. Must be the grapes. Should you visit Troodos Mountain, on the way is a lovely little village called Kocapatria. I stayed there one night many years ago on my way to a ski camp. Incidentally, I learned to ski in Cyprus. The best time to visit is in the Spring or Autumn of the year. It can be extremely hot in the Summer. I would like to go back to Cyprus if only to show my wife many of the wonderful places I was familiar with. Larnacca is a lovely place and there is a wonderful monastery called Bellapaise (I think that's how it is spelt). The archeological sites are of course a must. Should you go, I'm sure that you would not be disappointed.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“all over the place”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Nicosia?