"HUTONGS of my life" Hutongs - Bell and Drum Towers Tip by ntm2322
Hutongs - Bell and Drum Towers, Beijing: 95 reviews and 200 photos
Beijing hutongs are small alleys ranging from about 10 metres down to a few dozens of centimetres.
As the society develops many hutongs have disappeared to be replaced by new roads and buildings.
However, don’t think hutongs will disappear sooner or later. In fact, many of the most ancient hutongs are still there and the government is well aware of the cultural significance of the hutongs and many of them have already been designated as protected areas.
Many hutongs close to the Bell Tower and Shichahai Lake are several hundred years old and are very well preserved. The Niujie street and the Qianmen area also have plenty of them.
Actually, there are hutongs all throughout the city because the hutongs cover about one third of the area of Beijing and half of Beijing's population live in hutongs.
You can go to the hutongs by pedicab as many tourists do. Personally I prefer walking by myself, this way I can talk to people, smell the home-made food, buying traditional snacks here and there, admire the beauty of the lanes, watch the children playing with each other, watch the elderly playing chess, practicing taijiquan, dancing, singing Beijing Opera, etc.
Directions: There are many hutong areas. You might start off by visiting the Bell and Drum Towers area and the Shichahai District.
To get there take the subway and get off at Jishui Tan or Gulou Street subway station.
More Reviews (107)
- See All Beijing duck (Bei3 Jing1 kao3 ya1)
- See All Learning more about Chinese people (2)
- See All Spring Festival – most important customs...
- See All You're a foreigner, you are supposed to...
- See All Jing3 tai4 lan2 (cloisonné), inherently...
- See All Beijing’s “art students”
- See All Li2 yuan2 ju4 chang3 (Pear Garden...
- See All For basketball funs
- See All Ice Lantern Art Festival at Longqingxia
- See All Travelling starts at home!
- See All Biking
- Qianmen's great hotel
ntm2322's Related Pages
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
More Things to Do
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- Peking International Youth Hostel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hilton Beijing
- 292 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Tangyue Hotel Beijing
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- No.161 Hostel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Westin Beijing, Financial Street
- 340 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Diaoyutai State Guesthouse Beijing
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- Yong An Hotel Beijing
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Fragrant Hill Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2013
- Beijing Longxi Hotspring Resort
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013
- Sofitel Wanda Beijing
- 373 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Jiangxi Grand Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Xiao Xiang Hotel Beijing
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hutong Inn Beijing Culture Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 23, 2013
- Leo Hostel
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013