"Art at the Loop" Art Institute Tip by BeatChick

Art Institute of Chicago jars
      Art Institute of Chicago jars
      Art Institute of Chicago plates
    by BeatChick

Saturday shrimp56 & I traipsed around looking at my favorites from the previous visit:
*Seurat's Sunday on Le Grande Jatte made more famous in Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the scene where Ferris gets reaaaaly close to the painting to see the impressionist strokes of paint overlaid by dots of paint (ergo Pointillism) and then far off to see it in its full effect;
*Renoir's Two Sisters (On the Terrace);
*Caillebotte's Paris Street: Rainy Day, my favorite painting there (and I think in my Top 10). This must be an anchor painting for the museum as it shows up on the cover of the museum guide.

I really wanted to see Chagall's blue stained glass piece (America Windows) but it was either in storage for cleaning or out on tour but definitely "currently not on view".

Sally steered me to the Lorenzo Ghiberti Florentine Renaissance doors, Gates of Paradise (on the flipside you should also see Gates of Hell at the Rodin Museum in Paris). Shrimp tells me she saw these doors before there restoration in Florence a few years back!

Other items of interest included the small Native American artifact collection, the Manet paintings (where shrimp snapped photos of painting corners) and the Chicago Stock Exchange Trading Room. Shrimp had just consented to teach an art history course and so combined this as a research trip and she guided me around showing me items she'd focus on in her class (I'm so lucky!). But nearly got thrown out of the museum as the guard felt we were TOOCLOSE taking photos of some the works of art (ha! at least we're real art appreciators)!!

There were several musicians and poets throughout the museum which elevated the level of cultural interest throughout - trés fantastique! This may have been for the Celtic Fest which was going on that 2nd weekend in September.

Address: 111 S Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL
Directions: Picasso's Blue/Rose period, Monet's Haystack series, a fabulous Henry Moore sculpture, and a plentitude of Impressionist paintings.

Photos: September 2007

Phone: 312-443-3600
Website: http://www.artic.edu

• Updated Sep 22, 2007

BeatChick Lives Here!

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Chicago?