"Visit Pyramids and Sphinx" Egypt Things to Do Tip by JORDANRA

Egypt Things to Do: 1,687 reviews and 2,532 photos

If in Eygpt, you must visit the Pyramids and the Sphinx. My wife and I were able to have arranged beforehand through our travel agent, a tour - which involved an Eygptologist, a driver in an air-conditioned mini-van, and just my wife and I.

When visiting the Sphinx, you can stand approximately 25 feet from it, but can't actuually walk up to it due to a drop-off from excavation.

The Pyramids are a different story. Tourist police are there (dressed in white uniforms) and will nicely ask you if you want to go up and touch the pyramids, allowing you to do so. It is appropriate to offer 'baksheesh', beter known as a 'tip' for offerings or help. 1 Eyptian pound is like 17 cents in US currency. Handing them a 5 Egyptian pounds, although less than one US dollar to us is very much appreciated.

There are some camel drivers around who will ask if you want to ride one, but my wife and I just said, "la shukran" - "no Thank you". We were never pestered as I have read about in some reviews.

Address: About 8 miles outside Cairo center
Directions: Cairo is expanding, so that the outer sprawl is within 100 yards of the Sphinx. In fact, there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken behind you when facing the Sphinx.

• Written Sep 21, 2007

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.