"Cooking your own meals..or ..Cazuelas?" Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Restaurant Tip by elsadran

Chile Restaurants: 87 reviews and 81 photos

"selfcooking" guesthouse in Santiago
by elsadran

Restaurants in Chile are plentiful with culinary options to satisfy the most demanding customer. There are usually long buffets with all kind of tasty multicoloured dishes. Soup and vegetables are in sufficient amounts as Chile has fruit and veg producing zones in the central regions. Meat is always present and abounding. It's the whole of Southamericans that adore eating meat. I am sure they are sure nobody can survive without it...I am basically a vegetarian but I can appreciate a couple of lamb ribs juicily melting in my mouth..!
But this latin American habit of cooking everything with meat...!!!
I remember being invited to dinner in South Argentina for 3 successive days with the menu being nothing more than meat. For main dish, accompanying dish, and for the finale?..meat again! In my weak protest of there being no salad they pointed at the potatoes laying in the beef dish. I tried to explain what a veg is ..or about green colours..nobody seemed to understand...The next day I escaped early and hid in a luxurious restaurant with a long long salad buffet and took to it like a hungry caterpillar...
Another time I remember my disappointment when I discovered there was meat even in my lentil soup I had ordered just for avoiding meat...!!!
There is a difference in prices, though, from the other Southamerican countries. Food generally has climbed a little higher in Chile. The solution for most backpackers is cooking. This is not so hard to do..Most hotel owners have reluctantly conceded to the need and provide the use of the kitchen, even ....renting it by the hour !!!
Super markets and local open markets can be a good source for supplies. In Patagonia I found more and more travellers preparing their own food in the well-equipped kitchens. It is a good way to get your favourite food , know exactly the contains of your plate and save some cash.

Favorite Dish: Cazuela was a soup I remember ordering most. It's available everywhere. It's a delicious vegetable soup with a small cut of meat (again) ! There are different types depending on the kind of meat in it.
I also liked my favourite omelette with fresh tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. At the end, I added some parsley, spearmint, oregano, one or two spoonfuls of oil and sprinkled with paprika (red pepper powder) before serving. Don't stir all the time. Leave the eggs to form big lumps..I use three eggs for myself...
That's what I like !!

Comparison: N/A
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Nov 9, 2007

Comments

elsadran

“travelling is magic”