"All the dumplings you could ever need..." The Tang Dynasty Tip by SallyM

The Tang Dynasty, Xi'an: 13 reviews and 25 photos

Tang Dynasty show
by SallyM

We don't normally go for evening shows put on for tourists, but somehow our guide managed to sell us tickets for the Tang Dynasty show (with dumpling banquet) for 300 yuan (£20) each. Although this was by far the most we spent on an evening during our trip, it is excellent value by standards back home.

The evening started with the dumpling banquet. The use of the word 'banquet' was not an exaggeration. The meal comprised 18 different kinds of dumpling (chicken, pork, prawn, abalone, beef, pickle, walnut and many others, including a fried dumpling that reminded me of a cornish pasty....) plus soup, meat and peanuts. By the end, even I was feeling quite full. It was a while before I could contemplate another dumpling.

The show afterwards was very colourful, with dance and music, and lasted a little over an hour. The undoubted star was a musician who managed to make a noise like Donald Duck, without any instruments.

I have no idea how authentic the show might be, but it is an entertaining (and filling) way to spend an evening.

Address: 39 Changan Road - Xian
Theme: Concert

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 16, 2007

Comments

SallyM

“"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive"”

Have you been to Xi'an?