"The flower petals ritual" India Local Custom Tip by josephescu

India Local Customs: 336 reviews and 369 photos

one of the very few Brahma temples, Pushkar
    by josephescu

This is a description of a worship ritual i performed at Pushkar, in honour of Brahma the Creator.

As far as I was able to observe, the ceremonial was quite simple: a handful of flower petals was given to me upon entering the temple. I was to hand in the petals to the Brahman priest (in the middle of the altar), he would say some words, retain half of them and returned the other half, for me to go and lay them on the sacred lake.

Needles to say that upon arriving at the lake with the petals in hand, a bunch of pushy “priests” appeared from all around, since i was an obvious “sure target”. Ultimately, I had to let one of them “teach” me the ritual on what should I say and how should I lay the flowers on the lake, a ceremonial out of which I unfortunately did not understand anything, for we was speaking Hindu all the time.

Once the petals floating over the water, he turned in English, asking for money for his services. And this is I when I turned a stunned eye on him and calmly replied

“But how…..you’ve been so kind, you wanted to help me do it right, ….i believe this is about karma, not about money….Brahma sees everything, I don’t think we agrees you asking money for helping my pray to Brahma”…….

the “priest” remained wordless while I walked away, enjoying a moment of glory..

• Updated Sep 16, 2007

Comments

josephescu

“Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going”

Have you been to India?