"Northern Sweden is 2hrs..." Sweden Warnings Or Dangers Tip by smithsgen

Sweden Warnings and Dangers: 50 reviews and 30 photos

Northern Sweden is 2hrs driving from my hometown and 30 mins from both of my parents cottages. So, I've been there quite a few times. Esp. when I was younger and went on holiday with my parents.

Almost)All people from Northern Norway reckons the inland of Northern Sweden to be a complete wasteland between Norway and Botnviken (Luleň, Umeň, Piteň and Skellefteň). U drive for hrs on roads going straightforward through the most boring landscape imaginable (to me:)); forest as long as eye can see, everywhere. The abundance of elk and bear makes it a bit hazardous to drive there too. High speed limits and forest close onto the road does little to prevent collisions. All towns in this area are incredibly dull. This is a real outback. In Norway u won't find anyplace that's this far from 'central' areas.

Come to think of it I'd rather spend a week in Murmansk than a week in Kiruna, Arjeplog or whatever. Even the cities by the bay r boring, if not as bad as the inland villages.

There's one zoo in Lycksele. A lot of bathing spots and baths along the bay. The inland is good for hunting wildlife, including mosquitos. Fishing is also good. Compared to Norway the mountains are nothing, so if you've been to Norway, mountains are no reason to go to Sweden.

There's a great national park in there somewhere. It's got the largest population of elk in Europe, and it's next to untouched, being some distance from nearest road.

Kiruna is proabably the largest city inland. Never been there; I think. But knows it's a mining town and that there are many laps there.

Northern Sweden are slightly more interesting in wintertime. Then it's great for snowmobileracing (which is forbidden most places in Norway), Alpine skiing (some great resorts; Stenmark is from Tarnaby) and it even got an ice hotel near Kiruna I believe.

Distances are large but public transport should be existant if not frequent. There's a railroad going through Kiruna en route to Narvik.

Swedish people are nice. Pretty similar to Norwegians I'd say.

Might be possible with some rafting, though the rivers are generally very slowflowing. Not much whitewater rafting by other words. Canoeing should be nice, with many lakes and rivers.

And, be god damn sure to not forget Mosquito repellent. It may not be as bad as Norwegian lapland, but will sure be enough insects there to kill anyones holiday, at least( I hate Nordic insects; foreign ones r ok. Actually this is interesting. Before I travelled the world I always thought there would just as many mosquitos, wasps etc. elsewhere, esp. in the tropics. But, no, nowhere I've ever stepped outside Norway/Sweden have I ever come accross such 'pain in the ass' insects as here. Here I've been literally eaten up by (in Norwegian) Klegg, had a 100 stings by mosquitos in few hrs, been running riot, even jumped into small lakes to get rid of them many a time, but never elsewhere. So be alarmed, insects are bad in northern inland Scandinavia. Mosquitos are normally not the worst, even.

In lapland people keep children home from school every now and then due to insects. Cars ventilation systems break down due to it being full of insects. And many a dog and cat has died being 'sucked' to death. It's no kidding!).

Might be some fun up there, but sure ain't my pick!!!

• Written Aug 24, 2002