"Singaporeans love Seasonal Festivals" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Local Custom Tip by bpacker
Singapore Local Customs: 232 reviews and 163 photos
Now for a country with no seasons at all, Singapore celebrate season festivals with a vengence. Undeterred by the fact that it only rains or shine over here , Singaporeans will buy pussy willows during the Spring festival, buy real, yes, real Christmas trees that wilt in our tropical heat in no time at all during the Yuletide season and lanterns and mooncakes during the Lantern Festival. In case you're wondering, mooncakes are lard-filled orbs of bean paste and egg yolks that no healthy Singaporean would consider eating on any other month. Still, come September during the Mid Autumn Festival, they will go out dutifully, in full force to buy the best mooncakes in town and hold lantern competitions in a fairyland of lights and colour in the Chinese Garden. Why? This perhaps harks back to a time long ago, when our Chinese ancestors, filled with homesickness for their Motherland and practice these time bound traditions in their new tropical home. I'm quite sure it gave them some measure of comfort and for us, the migrant lot, some comforting reminder of the past and our roots . As for me, I'll give a pass on those orbs of lard, I'd rather have a cheery lantern anytime.
More Local Customs in Singapore (2)
More Reviews (137)
- See All Idiot's Guide to Pricing of Electronic...
- See All Where to eat Swiss Fondue in Singapore
- See All Best Place in Town to Down a Sake
- See All The Best Hotel in the World
- See All Hiking in Singapore: Sungei Buloh
- See All Tweety, the Fortune Teller
- See All From Singapore to Pulau Ubin
- See All The History Museum is now at Riverside...
- See All Visit the World's Famous Open Concept...
- Great Singapore Sale!
- Merlion @ Sentosa and Esplanade
Been to Singapore?Share your travels with the world!
bpacker's Related Pages
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels