"Cape Brett walk" Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Bay of Islands Things to Do: 69 reviews and 188 photos

At last, an entrance
      At last, an entrance
      Climbing above Oke Bay
      Looking east to Cape Brett
      Panoramic sweeping views
      Fungi en route
    by iandsmith

If you want to plan a strenuous, but rewarding, day then Cape Brett could be just for you. On the southern side of the Bay of Islands lies a headland that penetrates for kilometres out into the sea.
At its apex there is a lighthouse and you can organize one of the local cruise companies to drop you off there before you walk back. Depending on your level of fitness and how many photos you take, you might want to allocate anything from 6 to 8 hours to complete this task. It is hilly and you will certainly know you've been exercising but, as with most of these types of things, the rewards are many.
Panoramic views from the summits over the northern and southern bays, walking through the bush on your own and the satisfaction of completing a task such as this and then having boasting rights.
Sadly for me I only had time to do a small part and then missed the departure point I was supposed to embark from. When I finally went onto it I was near Rawhiti and had to circumvent Oke Bay Beach before I even got to the main track and then I only made it about another half hour further on, just past one of the main peaks, when I had to turn around as time didn't allow me any more.
Still, I saw enough to stimulate my interest to make me want to return some day.

• Written Sep 3, 2007

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Bay of Islands?