HanSik: "I found a Korean Mama in D-Dorf" Düsseldorf Restaurant Tip by SwanCarlos

Düsseldorf Restaurants: 142 reviews and 171 photos

I have a favorite restaurant in Los Angeles owned and run by a lovely Korean woman who grew up in Japan so her food reflects the mixture of both cultures. Well, when I walked in to HanSik - next to Na-Ni-Wa - I kinda knew I was closer to home than I thought. This place is a simple affair, great food and at affordable prices.

The Mama of HanSik made me feel at home immediately. As soon as I was sat and ordered she returned with a wonderful selection of the often pickled salads known as "kim-Chi" I was most interested in one made with white onions and Korean Shiso - or at least that's what I think I worked it out to be. The Host/Mama tried to communicate to me through a wonderful mix of Korean, English and German that she grew the herbs herself. I will be back many times before I leave this wonderful city. A true slice of Seoul.

Favorite Dish: I would suggest starting with the Bim-Bim-Bop or maybe the Bul-Go-Gi if you are a ravenous meat eater. I would also suggest for those of you - like I was - suffering from a cold, that you order the Kim-Chi Chigae a wonderful soup made with Tofu, Miso paste and the ever spicey Kim-Chi made from Nappa Cabbage. The vegetable Gyoza (Pot-Stickers) were wonderful there also.

Address: 60 Block of Klosterstrasse, just West of Oststrass
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Next to Na-Ni-Wa
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Other

• Written Sep 2, 2007

Comments

SwanCarlos

“The feet help the mind find were the stomach wants to be.”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Düsseldorf?