Zeughauskeller: "Swiss cuisine" Zürich Restaurant Tip by Dabs

Zeughauskeller Wurstspiess
      The 1st of many cows on this trip
      Outdoor seating area
    by Dabs

For our first meal in Switzerland, I wanted to eat something Swiss. Our 1st choice was closed for remodeling so we decided to try Zeughauskeller. Even though it was Saturday afternoon, we had no trouble being seated right away, the restaurant is huge seating 240 people and I think most of Zurich was at the Street Parade. We ate indoors but there is also a small outdoor eating section.

The building dates to 1487, it was once an armoury (zeughaus) but it was converted to a restaurant in 1927, keeping the wood beams and columns intact, and is now decorated like an old beerhall. Wait staff are dressed in local costume. Service was fine, although not at all friendly, but it took awhile to get the server's attention so we could get the bill.

Open everyday from 11:30 am-11 pm.

Favorite Dish: I had Kalbsgeschnetzeltes nach Zurcher Art, thinly sliced veal in a white wine mushroom cream sauce with a side of rosti which are similar to hash browns. The menu said "a must when in Zurich" so I had to order it and it was very good.

David had the Zeughauskeller Wurstspiess, a selection of sausages on a skewer served with homemade potato salad. He was also pleased with his selection.

I couldn't eat anything else but David wanted to try the Semolina pudding with strawberry topping and whipped cream. It was OK but not something I would order again.

Lunch for two was 76.90CHF with 2 entrees, 2 drinks and 1 dessert.

Address: Bahnhofstrasse 28a
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Near Paradeplatz, it was maybe a 10-15 minute walk from the train station
Phone: 044 211 26 90
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.zeughauskeller.ch/

• Updated Sep 3, 2007

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Zürich?