"Pictures Around Sai Gon Day View!" Notre Dame Cathedral Tip by machomikemd
Notre Dame Cathedral, Ho Chi Minh City: 80 reviews and 170 photos
The French took control of Saigon in 1859 and quickly embarked on a building program that included wide tree-lined boulevards and architecture that would not look out of place in Paris, and much of it survives today in Saigon's inner city districts. It may not be as concentrated as it is in Hanoi's old quarter but some of the best examples of French colonial building are to be found in Saigon - the grand central post office, the glorious wedding cake of a town hall (now the headquarters of the People's Committee), Notre Dame Cathedral, the Opera House, the Majestic Hotel, the main court house, and the many shops that line Le Loi and Nguyen Hue streets and the city's other main thoroughfares.
Indeed, the French architectural legacy is everywhere in the city, not just the centre. You just have to look out for the elegant villas and public buildings that are often hidden behind a sometimes dishevelled modern veneer.
Address: Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 700000
Directions: City center
Phone: +84 8 3822 0477
More Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City (76)
More Reviews (156)
- See All Second Highest Bar in Saigon (2)
- See All Restaurant with 360' Views of Saigon...
- See All Apricot Executive Lounge
- See All Mobile Phone Roaming in Saigon
- See All Vietnamese Lacquer
- See All The Park Facing Reunification Palace
- See All Bring Water Proof and Ultra Zoom cameras
- Walk with your eyes on the street!
- See All Pho Mua Sam Night Market
- See All Budget 3 Star Hotel in Nguyen Hue Street
- Be Ready to HAGGLE!
Been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share your travels with the world!
machomikemd's Related Pages
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels