Eat & Drink like the locals: "Elephant Ear Fish (tai tuong)" Eat and Drink Like the Locals Tip by machomikemd
Eat and Drink Like the Locals, Ho Chi Minh City: 46 reviews and 199 photos
a chimæroid fish (Callorhynchus antarcticus), with a proboscis-like projection of the snout. Elephant Ear Fish is a specialty of the Mekong Delta. there are vast fish tanks where fishermen keeps the Elephant Ear fish. The fish are the size of a large platter. They are gutted and fried whole then served standing propped up on a plate between a couple of chopsticks. To eat them you first take a piece of rice paper and dampen it, break off some fish, add cucumber slices, mint and basil leaves and some rice noodles then roll it all up and dip it in a spicy chilli sauce. Finger food at its best.
Favorite Dish: when touring the mekong delta and having lunch included in your package, they will serve you will this elephant ear fish which is a local mekong delta specialty. it is also available in some restaurants in Saigon.
Address: available everywhere!
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: available everywhere!
Price: less than US$10
More Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City (65)
More Reviews (167)
- See All Second Highest Bar in Saigon (2)
- See All Saigon Sky Deck (4) Ultra Zoom Views
- See All Apricot Executive Lounge
- See All Mobile Phone Roaming in Saigon
- See All Vietnamese Lacquer
- See All The Park Facing Reunification Palace
- See All Bring Water Proof and Ultra Zoom cameras
- Walk with your eyes on the street!
- See All Pho Mua Sam Night Market
- See All Budget 3 Star Hotel in Nguyen Hue Street
- Be Ready to HAGGLE!
Been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share your travels with the world!
machomikemd's Related Pages
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels