"Durban-muggings" Durban Warnings Or Dangers Tip by eweech

Durban Warnings and Dangers: 31 reviews and 20 photos

We were recently (August 2007) in Durban for an international conference. Our hotel was on the south beach and we were warned by our hotel porters not to walk anywhere. Being skeptical we walked the 6 or seven blocks to the ICC (convention center) several days with no problem. Then on a Sunday morning at 9:30 am, as three of us were waiting at an intersection for a light to change, out of nowhere my husband was jumped by a young black guy who knocked him to the ground and tried to get his wallet. As my husband takes the precaution in big cities to keeping his wallet in a front pocket giving the pocket a twist, the guy could not get the wallet out. In the meantime, I was yelling and hitting and kicking at the mugger and my husband was trying to hit and push him off. Fortunately a man came out of his shop and pulled the guy off and he and his two companions who were waiting nearby for him to toss the wallet all ran away. There were at least 10 or 12 people...all black Africans who stood around watching the mugging and made no move to help. Later we learned that at least 9 or 10 conferees had also been attacked during the week in the vincinity of the beach hotels and the ICC, some at knifepoint! After our attack, we took conference shuttle busses and taxis everywhere and felt like prisoners in our hotel and the ICC. We will never go back to South Africa.

• Written Aug 27, 2007