Les Ombres Restaurant: "Worth the Splurge!" Les Ombres Tip by mpileggi

Grilled rare tuna
      Young lamb
      La grande Dame
    by mpileggi

This is a place when you want to splurge for dinner. It's located on the top floor of the Musée du quai Branly in the 7th Arr. It has a romantic atmosphere but is also quite lively. The best part is the wonderful view you get of the Eiffel Tower while dining. The walls and ceiling are all glass and framed in iron to match the Eiffel Tower structure. Service is great and the food is fabulous.

Favorite Dish: My friend Louisa and I both ordered the 95? tasting menu and it was fabulous! We ordered an inexpensive bottle of red wine for 36? (highest bottle of wine goes for 600?). Fresh baked bread was served along with a small dish of herring on top of a curry sauce. I thought it was an unusual starter. Our dinner began: Garden peas veloute soup flavored with fresh mint, crab meat and thin shellfish jelly. The mint was not overwhelming and I could taste the hint of dill. Next, we had the duck foie-gras terrine with sweet pepper chutney and grained mustard; Grilled rare tuna, hot piperade and ?Noirmoutier? potatoes cooked with salted butter; Young lamb, cooked rare, flavored with marjoram and a spinach ricotta gnocchi (which really looked and tasted like a quiche). For dessert, we had the ?La grande Dame,? a praline-flavored light pastry with lemon like ?aux Ombres?. I think the most unique dish on the menu was the soup.

This was a really wonderful dinner with excellent service, although quite expensive (especially if you order a la carte). Les Ombres is definitely a place for a special occasion or event. And having such wonderful views of the Eiffel Tower really adds to the evening. Once it was dark, the Eiffel Tower sparkled at the top of the hour. Very special indeed!

Address: 25 Quai Branly, Paris VII
Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: In the 7th Arr at the Musée du quai Branly.
Phone: 01 47 53 68 00
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: French
Website: http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com

• Written Aug 24, 2007

“I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett”

Have you been to Paris?