"Caution: Flying Cups of Urine (Part 1)" Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Warnings Or Dangers Tip by thelukey

El Salvador Warnings and Dangers: 24 reviews and 15 photos

Cheering on ?los duros del norte?
by thelukey

Generally speaking, Salvadoran fútbol fans are a peaceful, fun-loving bunch who arrive at the stadium to cheer on the local team, jeer the refs, and enjoy what is for many of them the only day in the week when they don?t have to work (like this group of my La Laguna friends and neighbors who made the trip to San Salvador to watch C. D. Chalatenango defeat Aspirante 2-1 to win the second division championship in 2003). As such, I assumed that watching the Salvadoran national team take on Panama in a World Cup qualifier would be fun, so I talked my friend Liam into going to the stadium with me. The following excerpts from an email message that I sent to a friend a few days after the game best capture the experience...

?Last Wednesday I went to the Estadio Jorge "Mágico" González in San Salvador with my pal Liam to watch El Salvador take on Panama in their first match of the semi-final stage of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying. We arrived around 6:45, about 45 minutes before the scheduled kick-off and about an hour after a decent rain storm had begun. My first mistake was not putting my El Salvador national team jersey on over the red t-shirt I was wearing BEFORE we entered the stadium. We hadn't walked 10 feet before I was showered with multiple cups of beer, many insults, and chants to take off my shirt (I hadn't even stopped to think that the Panamanian national team's away jersey might be red, as it indeed is). I did redeem myself by pulling my blue El Salvador jersey out of its plastic bag and over the offending red t-shirt. Even drew a standing applause for my performance. ? [CONTINUED]

• Written Aug 22, 2007

Comments

thelukey Used To Live Here!

thelukey

“Eamus catuli - AC000000”

Have you been to El Salvador?