"Jewish Museum - "The Holocaust"" Jewish Museum Tip by smirnofforiginal

Jewish Museum, Berlin: 55 reviews and 112 photos

I don't think ever in my life has architecture affected me in quite the way that THE HOLOCAUST room at the Jewish Museum did.

To describe the room - very tall; the walls seemed to keep strecthing up. A strange angled shape causing a very claustrophobic environment. Actually with the height scale of the walls and the narrowness / acute angles it felt as though the room was closing in on you. Added to that was the fact that there was no light, save a small slit in the far wall - the walls were all grey, the incredibly high ceiling was black and the room was totally empty save an odd metal runged ladder going up one wall, starting high up.

The connection between the room/architecture and what the room is representing (The Holocaust) was so powerful; It managed to provoke a very unsettling and uncomfortable atmosphere. From the moment I stepped into the room I was filled with a sickening feeling and I found the whole experience of this room very moving. One thing I hadn't noticed until I looked at my photos was that the light which came through the slash in the wall actually hit the angles just so to form a heart - was this intentional? I don't know.

A most definite experience.

Address: Lindenstraße 9-14, Berlin-Kreuzberg
Directions: U-Bahn: Hallesches Tor
Phone: (030) 30 87 85 - 681
Website: http://www.jmberlin.de

• Written Aug 22, 2007

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Berlin?