"Not everyone is friendly in Hawaii" Maui Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Nevo

Maui Warnings and Dangers: 57 reviews and 58 photos

Be conscious of what you say in Hawaii and how you portray yourself in public. Not everyone that we came across had the "aloha spirit" we were so eager to encounter. Unfortunately, we had 2 different encounters back to back days that almost ended up a disaster.

a local car stopped in front of me on a narrow road and decided it just felt like talking to a friend on the side of the road. I was polite and waited a bit. After 1 minute of no movement i decided to give a friendly honk. worse mistake of my life. I had about 40 guys giving me looks and telling me if i don't shut up they will kill me (true story). their land, their rules type of attitude. even though its frustrating, just remain calm, its just not worth jepordizing your safety.

My other incident was in a bar when a local told us never to say anything about hawaii unless we are local and almost started fighting with us. Some of these guys are bitter at mainlanders. So just be calm and respectful in public and enjoy the good things Hawaii has to offer...

• Written Aug 21, 2007