"Holidays in Velden" Velden am Wörthersee Things to Do Tip by Fra.da.

Velden am Wörthersee Things to Do: 16 reviews and 40 photos

Sunbathing by the lake

Sunbathing by the lake
    by Fra.da.
      Schloss Velden: once a castle, now a luxury hotel
    by Fra.da.

Coming back from Vienna, I stopped in Velden to say hi to a couple of my parents' friends who were spending some days there. I was impressed by the beuty of the town of Velden and of its lake. Of course a beautiful sunny day helped, but I really liked the town and I'd love to spend a weekend there in the near future.

Velden is very close to the Italian border. The town itself is very pretty and tidy, according to Austrian standards. Most of the hotels faces the lake Worther directly, and many of them has also private platforms on the lake ideal for sunbathing or diving. The lake's water is blue and trasparent, and it seems ideal for watersports such as swimming, sailing or parasailing. Around the lake there is a nice promenade, which I heard is very nice at sunset and night too.
There are also many gardens, many refined shops and restaurants and also a very elegant casino. Tourists themselves seemed very elegant and refined, I saw loads of expensive cars such as Ferrari, Maserati, BMW, ...
The best hotel is the "Schloss Velden", which is really impressive and was a real Renaissance castle once, which then turned to 5 star hotel. I entered the lobby and I found it to be superb, with black marbles and lots of flowers. I asked for the room rates, and I discovered that they run between 500 and 4.000 euro per night. There are many 3 and 4 star hotels too, which are also very nice and cosy and which may suit me better :) .

I think that Velden is a very nice vacation spot, ideal for relaxing, walking, swimming, having fun. I might visit it again soon!

• Updated Aug 20, 2007

Comments

Have you been to Velden am Wörthersee?