"An Inexpensive Treat - A New York Egg Cream" Bronx Tip by postcardsfromnewyork

• Close-up - New York City
      St. Marks and 2nd Avenue
      Gem Spa Newsstand
    by postcardsfromnewyork

As soon as the clerk started pumping the vanilla syrup into the old school Coca-Cola glass, I was transported back to the late 1970s.

I was 8 or 9 years old, sitting on a red vinyl stool, the kind that sticks to your legs when you wear shorts on a hot, humid summer day, at the lunch counter, at a Woolworth's, in the Bronx. My grandmother, who we called Oma, was sitting next to me. We waited in silent anticipation for the soda jerk to present us with our order.

Ohh, the first foamy sip! We never used the straw to begin, so we could laugh at our cream soda mustaches; We always laughed, big belly laughs, and then Oma would kiss my mustache off. How I miss her; Oma always said that she thought clouds must taste like this and someday when we were in heaven, we'd be sipping up all those egg cream soda clouds.

Luckily, you don't have to wait until heaven. A small piece of it is at St Mark's Place and 2nd Avenue at Gem Spa, a tiny 24/7 newsstand. Just think, you can get one any time of day or night! $2.50 gets you a 16 oz g;ass. To make the experience extra special, I recommend ordering your vanilla or chocolate egg cream soda in a Coca-Cola glass, not a take away cup. This way, you are forced to take a few minutes to really cherish one of life's simple joys.

By Joseph Knight for www.postcardsfromnewyork.com

othercontact: 131 2nd Avenue
Phone: 212-995-1866

• Written Aug 20, 2007

More Off The Beaten Path in New York City (1)

postcardsfromnewyork Lives Here!

“travel with as little as possible and when in Rome...”

Have you been to New York City?