"Gothic Masterpiece - Most Beautiful Church" Sainte-Chapelle Tip by Mikebb

The Chapelle & Decorated Wall
      The Spiral Staircase, Steps Are Worn
      A Section Of The Dome
    by Mikebb

It was our last afternoon in Paris, 4pm and we were in front of the Sainte Chapelle, raining heavily and a large line waiting in the street. Decision time, do we join the line? We made the right decision and stood in the rain for 30 minutes before we reached cover and we were soon into this very famous church.

My first impression on entering was how dark it was inside, however my eyes soon adjusted and I was astounded by the beauty of this church. Huge windows of stained glass ( separate tip for those photos), towering ceilings, beautiful woodwork etc etc. How can we capture on camera this beauty in the poor light, well I was pleased with my photos under such poor conditions.

This church was built by Louis 1X (1214 - 70) as a shrine to his holy relics and completed in 1248. I would place Sainte-Chapelle on your "must see" list when visiting Paris.

Address: 2 Boulevard du Palais 75001
Directions: Sainte-Chapelle is inside the Palais of Justice on Ile de le Cité-- a few minute walk from Notre Dame. Métro : Cité, Staint-Michel, or Châtelet. RER: Chatelet -Les-Halles, Saint-Michel
Phone: 01 53 73 78 50
Website: http://www.pbase.com/francist/chap&page=all

• Updated Aug 18, 2007

Comments

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Have you been to Paris?