"Andranomandroatra: Amparaky Geysers" Ampefy Things to Do Tip by Norali

Ampefy Things to Do: 5 reviews and 14 photos

wow! was speechless.. love this picture!
by Norali

wow! was speechless.. love this picture!
      The biggest geyser spring
      with most bizarre shape
    by Norali
      Set in one of coolest landscapes on earth.......
      Tiny, tiny...
    by Norali

Of all activities in the area that day, this was my favourite. In fact, it was a first-time thingy. Don't know, I just think I love it. I liked it at the Itasy lake but I prefer it here.

The geyser site counts 4 geyser springs. They lie on a aragonite plaque (see last picture).

I think one reason is my fascination about the ephemeral aspect of geyser. As I could understand, geysers exist thanks to a volcano activity underneath. Now, my all-time fascination was about when it would explode. At least, for that reason, I'm interested in volcano existence proof of evidence.

I couldn't help but feel a bit sad and disappointed while being explained that since a local company is extracting aragonite stone from this site, less pressure is applied to the mineral & spring waters beneath the surface. Hence the smaller height at which water spews out. Whilst the one on pic4 used to spew out at 20-25 meters high, it only reaches one meter high nowadays.

Anyway, one great thing is that all the four-five geysers on his site spew edible mineral water. Less "salty" than the one collected in Antsirabe area & sold as Visy Gasy & Rano Visy. Even the taste, I prefer it here.

A not that great thing, it is wasted. When I was there, I saw that they tried to collect it in a basin to allow people to cure arthritis. I think the collection is not functional yet. Still, it's worth the détour.

On my way back, found out the dirt road to Amparaky (about 5km) was not for every car. We crossed small, low (VW Golf, little Peugeots) & weak cars having to turn back & skip the geysers. Uncontrary to the perfectly tarred Tana-Analavory-Ampefy main liaison, the roads to Itasy sites of interest (the waterfalls, the geysers, the Itasy lake & islets), although of only 4-5km length, are to be assimilated with bumpy rides. No that bad as roads (no big holes, for instance). Nevertheless, since the tar hasn't completely removed, small-low/weak cars would be in trouble & one which can ride those roads shouldn't drive that fast.

Address: Amparaky
Directions: On your way to Tsiroanomandidy, 4km from Analavory junction, turn right. Drive about till crossing the bridge on Mazy river (about 5 km). Spot the small "Geysers" sign. Amparaky village lies further at the left.

• Updated Aug 18, 2007

Comments

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”