"King's College: Don't just sit on the wall there" Top 5 Page for this destination King's College Tip by christine.j

King's College, Cambridge: 25 reviews and 37 photos

I think one of the most favourite parts of King's College is their wall. There are always lots of tired tourists sitting there. This year we did more, we finally went inside the chapel.
This is one the places which just leave you standing there open-mouthed. It starts with the word "chapel". When I learned this English word, I thought it stood for a small, intimate church. Well, the church of King's College is called chapel, however it's anything but small and intimate.
It's huge! It's also very old and when I read that it had been Richard III who had contributed a lot to this building I felt like I was in a play by Shakespeare.

One part of the chapel is called the "Chapel of all Souls". This is a memorial chapel for college members who had died in world war I and II. When you come in, you can read the names on the wall. Then turn around and look at the wall next to door, there is a single name, all by itself. This is the name of a college member, who also died in the war, but who had been fighting "for the other side", as the leaflet diplomatically puts it.

Entrance fee is 4.50 GBP for adults, well worth it.

Address: King's Parade, Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 331100
Website: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/

• Written Aug 17, 2007

Comments

christine.j Visits Here Frequently!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Have you been to Cambridge?