"Not for the Squeamish or Faint Hearted or those..." Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Local Custom Tip by Mariajoy

East Sussex Local Customs: 5 reviews and 6 photos

The insides of a Deep Fried Mars Bar
by Mariajoy

The insides of a Deep Fried Mars Bar
    by Mariajoy
  • Not for the Squeamish or Faint Hearted or those... - East Sussex

... with a heart condition!!

This is the sort of thing we used to read about in the tabloids. The eating habits of those living in the North of England were a fascination to us in the south - particularly the Deep Fried Mars Bar - we thought it was just an urban legend - until I saw, in my local chippy, a pile of Mars Bars in the fridge behind the counter. I said to my American friend who was with me at the time, "I bet they are meant for the fryer" and he replied in disbelief "Nooo... they can't be?" So I said I would ask the guy... "Can I have a deep fried Mars Bar"?? And he never even looked up from his fish fryer.. just took one out, unwrapped it - dunked it in batter and said "it won't be a minute"... well.. my friend was aghast... could this really be happening this far south? Yes it can.. and it did. The 3,000 calorie DFMB has made its way to sleepy Sussex - (and we don't even have the excuse of requiring the extra padding they need oop north due to their 11 month long winters!) (Could it make it's way across the Channel to France?? Watch this space!!)

Anyway, few moments later we were paying for our fish and chip supper and this time we were going home with dessert!!!!!

I tried a bite, and to be honest, it wasn't too bad... but I really couldn't eat a whole one... unlike my American friend .. who pretended to be disgusted by the whole concept of battered chocolate but proceeded to scoff the lot (and that was after a LARGE portion of cod and chips!)

• Updated Aug 15, 2007

Comments

Mariajoy Lives Here!

Have you been to East Sussex?