Brasserie Roux: "Brasserie Roux, on Pall Mall" Top 5 Page for this destination The Balcon London Tip by sue_stone

The Balcon London, London: 2 reviews and 6 photos

Brasserie Roux
      Brasserie Roux
      Foie Gras
  • Salad - London
  • Venison - London
      Coffee creme brulee
    by sue_stone

One evening we needed somewhere to have an early dinner close to Trafalgar Square, and I happened upon some positive reviews about Brasserie Roux, so we headed there. The restaurant is part of the Sofitel Hotel on Pall Mall, so suffers a little in atmosphere as it is basically a 'hotel restaurant'. The space is decorated quite nicely, and I was amused by the giant 'lampshades' hanging from the ceiling.

Service was efficient and helpful (even providing me with a much needed sticky plaster), though at times it felt like we were a part of some sort of function, as the team of wait staff were constantly moving swiftly around the room carrying large trays of identical meals (there was a tour group dining).

Favorite Dish: On arrival we were given two pieces of salami on a small plate, and a basket of bread which was fresh and tasty. To start, Alex had the Ballotine of foie gras with French beans and toasted brioche, which he enjoyed though said it lacked flavour.

Main course for me was the Caesar salad with blackened chicken, and Alex has the chef's recommendation of the Venison with poivrade sauce. The venison was perfectly cooked and a decent sized serve. My salad was also good, interestingly presented, and served as requested with the dressing on the side. We shared the Crème brulee au café for dessert - it was nothing special.

Drinks are not cheap here, and the food is a little on the expensive side. They do however offer some good value pre-theatre menus which make Brasserie Roux a lot more affordable....shame there is never anything on those set menus that I want to eat!

Address: Sofitel St James, 8 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5NG
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Nearest tube: Charing Cross or Green Park
Phone: 020 7968 2900
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Written Aug 12, 2007

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?