"The Royal Elegance" Versailles - Daytrip Tip by heryanta

Versailles - Daytrip, Paris: 208 reviews and 393 photos

Credit: Eric Pouhier (some rights reserved)
by heryanta

Anyone who knows a little bit of the history of French Royalty will know the Versailles palace.
Therefore, rather than writing about its history let me just write about my trip there.

I find it the most elegant palace complex in the world. Combination of the building itself, the gardens, the furnishing and the history makes it a truly magnificent place.

I went there as a part of a tour from Amsterdam so we had a Dutch speaking guide with us. Unless you know the history and the story of the palace really well I suggest you get a (real or electronic) guide.

The halls of mirrors were amazing, so were the King's and Queen's chambers. One peculiar thing I found about the chambers was that they were not in the shapes of rectangle but long and narrow. Not sure whether they had always been like that or that the furnitures were moved around to facilitate tourists whisking by.

We probably spent in total 2 hours in there, and we took the bus from the city center. I've been told the RER journey takes only about 35 minutes.

The palace is open on Tuesdays-Sundays from 9am to 5.30pm and in the summer months until 6.30pm
Admission costs 20 Euro's during the summer months and 16 Euro's otherwise

Address: Chateau de Versailles
Directions: Closest RER station is Versailles-Rive Gauche
Phone: +33 1 30 83 78 00
Website: http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/index.php

• Updated Sep 16, 2007

“Dont rush, slow down; and do what the locals do”

Have you been to Paris?