"Samos - hiking or walking" Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Sports & Outdoors Tip by vtveen
Samos Sports & Outdoors: 2 reviews and 10 photos
Samos is - in spite of the forest fires of some years ago - still a very mountainous green island with lots of (pine) forest, olives groves and vineyards. It has beaches, mountains, streams, waterfalls; all together a very varied landscape. It seems to be made for hiking and walking; combining coastal, inland and some more or less urban routes. Especially the tracks in the mountains offer astonishing views.
Most suitable for walks and hikes are the northern and western parts of the island with the mountains, forests and valleys. They offer many paths and tracks; some of them follow the so called ‘kalderimi’, ancient cobbled mule tracks now being rediscovered and opened up for walking, often connecting mountain villages.
Equipment: Some remarks for your hiking tours:
- try to visit Samos during spring, when the mountains are covered with all kinds of green colours; wild flowers will be indescribably beautiful; temperatures are still pleasant for comfortable walking;
- Samos has many natural springs, but always take along some water/drinks;
- wear proper shoe wear or walking shoes; trails and paths can be rather steep, slippery and rough or do have ‘river’ crossings;
- use headgear, sunglasses and sun tan;
- buy a book (we used ‘Rother Wanderfüher Samos’ with 40 walks/hikes) or map with tracks;
- signs are not always reliable or even visible; due to road constructions tracks sometimes have been altered or signs are disappeared.