"The La?al Ratty Railway" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Things to Do Tip by into-thin-air
Cumbria Things to Do: 84 reviews and 268 photos
I have had a few emails asking me what there is to do in Cumbria / The Lake district If you aren?t into hill walking or the weather is wet so the following few tips are intended to give you a few ideas
The La?al Ratty Railway (Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway)
This is an Excellent family day out, You can either do a return trip from Ravenglass to Dalegarth (Or visa versa) or combine it with a walk.
Opened in 1875 to bring iron ore to the Furness Railway and the following year began carrying passengers with the railway having a rather unsettled background. When the iron ore trade went into decline and with the line having financial problems the granite quarries were opened in the area to provide traffic for the line. Then these also eventually closed and the railway is now passenger only
Tickets are reasonably priced and the scenery is excellent.
Often you are hauled by a stream engine.
Give it a go :-) You Won?t be disappointed !!
For More details see the attached web-site
Other attractions close by Ravenglass include Muncaster Castle
More Things to Do in Cumbria (13)
More Reviews (44)
- See All If you're looking for somewhere special
- See All Simply the Best
- See All Are you suffering with aches and...
- See All Show consideration to others
- Where to buy your boots in Lakeland
- See All Eskdale to Boot via Miterdale & Burnmoor...
- Keep your Rucksack Safe -- Keep your kit...
- Be Prepared when out on the Fell...
- See All Great Gable & The Front Climbers...
- Something Not to be Missed !!
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Have you been to Cumbria?Share Your Travels