"Our route" Top 5 Page for this destination Uzbekistan Favorite Tip by toonsarah

Uzbekistan General: 57 reviews and 75 photos

Early morning, desert camp, Uzbekistan
      Early morning, desert camp, Uzbekistan
      On the bus between Khiva and Bukhara
    by toonsarah

Favorite thing: As I?ve said elsewhere, the trip we went on was an organised one run by Explore. The route followed was:
Day 1 ? arrive in Tashkent, one day there
Day 2 ? early flight to Urgench, rest of the day and overnight in Khiva
Day 3 ? drive to Bukhara, 2 nights there
Day 4 ? all day sightseeing in Bukhara
Day 5 ? drive to desert camp via Nurata, overnight in yurt
Day 6 ? morning at Lake Ayurdakal, then drive to Samarkand, 2 nights there
Day 7 ? all day in Samarkand, with morning sightseeing tour and afternoon free
Day 8 ? as yesterday, all day in Samarkand, with morning sightseeing tour and afternoon free. Late night departure for drive to Tashkent and flight home

This is a pretty standard route for such tours, I gather, although I?m not sure that the desert camp element would be included in all of them ? it?s the sort of experience the more upmarket/pampered customer might not relish, though for us it was one of the highlights of the trip!

On the whole I think the above schedule worked for a brief visit such as ours, with one important caveat ? I really wanted more time in Bukhara! One day was just not enough. Like most people in the group, we went on the organised tour which seemed the only way, especially in that heat, to get round all the major sights (although one thing I like about Explore tours is that they?re always happy if you choose to do your own thing on occasion). But we really would have liked a second day there at least in order to wander the back streets and soak up the atmosphere, as well as revisit a couple of the sights seen on the tour at more leisure. Bukhara seems to be a lot of visitors? favourite of the Silk Road cities, so if you have a choice of tour, or are planning your own itinerary, I recommend you try to spend a bit longer here.

• Updated Aug 5, 2007

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Uzbekistan?